Friday, October 16

MY students

I had an interesting experience the other day. On Tuesday (a day I was in my placement) my mentor called in sick. A substitute teacher and I ran the class and everything went smoothly. The students seemed to learn a great deal about the material and I learned a great deal about the students. At the end of the day my mentor called me to see how the day went and to inform me that he was still feeling ill and would not be in the following day. He asked me to put together a cheat sheet for the substitute teacher to follow for tomorrow's lesson and to leave general instructions for tomorrow's daily routines.

The following day I came in just for first hour to make sure that the substitute was able to get into the room and that she knew the events of the day. Soon, the students started streaming in for first hour. As they unpacked their stuff I began getting my things together to leave. However, I found it nearly impossible to leave them. I wanted to stay with them, hear about their evenings, and teach them the lesson for the day. Unfortunately I had other obligations and was forced to leave. The rest of the day I thought of my students. I worried about their days, about what they learned, and how they were feeling about having a substitute.

This was the first time I felt like THE students were MY students. I didn't realize how much the students meant to me. They really have become a central part of my life and I'm sure this feeling will only grow.

5 comments:

  1. Ben, you will be a great teacher! I'm sure this feeling will grow. There is the idea of leaving work at work and home at home, but I think it is impossible, especially with teaching. I know with supervision, I was constantly wondering if I had done what was right for my people, how the next day would go, what I could do different. I imagine with young students, who are so formable, I will have that feeling multiplied by 100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great moment you describe here, Ben....very exciting, indeed. How do you account for this bonding taking place so quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ben, you are too much! But I do know what you mean. When the semester started I was worried I'd never know all the students' names, and now I not only know their names, but I know something about how they learn, what their personalities are etc...I could even usefully contribute in parent/teacher conferences!

    As Kerri said, you really will be a great teacher! If you've already developed a bond with students in your mentor's classroom, think of what you'll do in your own classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben, I think you're hooked now. Well done! Next year will be very different when we have our own classes. In the meantime, I think student teaching is a bit difficult because we are only part-timers and have so many other tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, this is a really sweet story. I really like that you were anxious to hear about the students' evenings. My mentor says that we should get to know students formally first, like by asking them about sports or extra curriculars and family, like how many siblings they have, if parents are still together, who they live with. He said that students gradually want to tell you more and more about themselves. This is a really good way to develop a relationship with your students, and it sounds like you're already on your way!

    ReplyDelete