Tuesday, July 28

Got Frustration?

In EDUC504 we were asked to share our thoughts on the use of technology in the classroom; specifically the use of blogging. We began this activity by breaking into small groups and sharing our feelings on the topic. As people in my class know, my group took a fairly negative outlook on blogging. Unfortunately, I believe our thoughts were misinterpreted and they eventually created a whirlwind of angry comments.

Foremost, I want to apologize to Jeff. I believe our class' comments turned into attacks and forced Jeff to take a defensive stance. But, if i can speak for the class, I would like to say that EDUC504 is one of the favored courses in the program and Jeff and Liz are some of the best instructors this program has to offer. With that said, I think people felt comfortable enough around Jeff to release their frustration from the rest of the course. So again, I apologize for starting these "attacks" in class the other day.

However, I do not think we can completely sweep this idea of frustration under the rug. We all knew that this program would be difficult at times, but these difficulties should not stem from inconsistencies between teachers or a lack on information (instruction) given to students. From my multiple talks with several of my peers, a reoccurring theme arrives. People feel that they are not learning as much as they should in a graduate program, they feel at time the instructors are unprepared, in disagreement with one another, and often not in tune with the student's concerns.

In summation, take this blog as you want. Everyone has their own experience and should create their own feelings toward this program. I just hope that we can keep a positive attitude throughout this year. We will have many more ups and downs but we are in it together. So find a friend, complain a little, but don't lose sight of all the great moments we have had. This year is going to pass by so quickly, we will all head our own ways and I'm sure we will miss the moments that have come and gone.

So keep your heads up class,
keep smiling,
and don't forget...hugs!

6 comments:

  1. Well Ben, I was in your group and I just posted a similar blog to clarify the feelings. I also want to apologize to Jeff. I think you were right on. Jeff and Liz do make us all very comfortable and wiling to share our feelings. I also agree that it is too soon to make judgements regarding the program. I think we are all very anxious to get in the schools and I think that once in the school, much of this will start to come together. It always makes things much more concrete when it can be applied and I believe that the time will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for clarifying what a lot of us were thinking during class. Also, thanks for the positive encouragement. Being able to express frustrations or feelings of being overwhelmed while maintaining a positive attitude is a useful life skill. Keep the fun alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your thoughtful comments, Ben. Liz and I make a conscious choice to have this blogging assignment, the strength of which (from our point of view) is its flexible nature. Part of the deal when you open this door, though, is that if you have established any trust, people might express some candid thoughts. So, I certainly like to think that you're right that the fact that people felt comfortable making suggestions or raising concerns was owing, at least in part, to the fact that people felt comfortable doing so--that's a good thing. I certainly didn't feel that you, or any of your classmates, were casual or disrespectful in your comments, and Liz and I were given some good things to think about.
    In addition, as your comments (and those of Kerri and Meghan) suggest, things will get better *especially* once you're working with real live kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben
    First and foremost I agree completely with Jeff, and I want to thank you for being candid. Jeff and I know that asking you to express your opinion (your true opinion) opens the door for criticism on our part as educators. I think I speak for Jeff when I say---WE NEED THAT information. How are we going to be better teachers (there is always room for improvement) if we never ask for the real feedback? While I was not privy to the "discussion" last week, Jeff did fill me in. As a result, it forced us to take a step back and reevaluate our class for this Friday. We hope that we can clarify a few points (such as Edublogs and practical concerns). While it is not always enjoyable to hear that one is not getting their point across it is vital that we hear that. Please keep it honest, and I appreciate the kind remarks in your post as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha ohh Ben..you and your "hugs"...

    As part of your group in the last tech class, I would like to second what you said, as far as no disrespect with the critiques of blogging. The openness really was due in a large part to the care and concern Jeff expresses and his willingness to letting us share our feelings on what we're working on in class. It's just very clear that there's genuine care for our experience from Jeff. So, while I may not always be so sure what to make (or how to use!) some of these techy things, I appreciate the opportunity to learn them to be able to have them as tools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny because our group was after yours and we were pretty placid. I think Jeff actually missed your tenacious attitude.
    It's important that Jeff and Liz get our feedback especially when we are frustrated. It's sort of part of our accountability as students. We are responsible for how much we learn and if we don't let our teachers know what's going on with us we are doing ourselves a disservice.

    ReplyDelete